The Ancud Museum reflects the distinctive culture of the Chiloé Archipelago, off the coast of southern Chile, with its own traditions, folklore and craftwork.
Libertad 370, Ancud, Chile.
January-February: Tues-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat, Sun & holidays 10.30am-3.30pm; March-December: Tues-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat, Sun & holidays 10:30am-1:30pm
This Museum in Ancud, Chiloé’s second largest city and its capital until 1982, was founded in 1976. Its original collection was donated by Father Audelio Bórquez, a Salesian priest who taught at a local school and became the Museum’s first director.
Located on the city’s Plaza de Armas square, the Museum has expanded significantly since then, both in terms of its collection and infrastructure. In 2001, its Challanco multipurpose room was created in what had until then been the public library (which moved to other premises).
This was followed by a new access and entrance hall and, in 2011, by a small cinema, an amphitheater and new storage facilities.
The permanent exhibition traces the history of Chiloé over 6,000 years. Beginning with the first hunter-gatherers, it goes on to the indigenous communities at the time of their first contact with Europeans, the Spanish colonization, the Jesuit influence and the presence of Dutch pirates between 1600 and 1643 through to the Ancud-Castro train and the massive 1960 earthquake.
Temporary exhibitions are held in the Challanco room where different cultural activities also take place.
In the Museum’s grounds, with its spectacular view over the Gulf of Quetalmahue and the Lacuy Peninsula, there is a scale model of the Ancud Schooner, a boat built in Ancud that became famous as the vessel used by the expedition that took possession of the Strait of Magellan in 1843. Nearby there is also the skeleton of a blue whale which became stranded near Ancud in 2004.