This Museum, near the city’s historic Puchacay neighborhood, and the so-called “Jurassic” Square opposite are an important pole of the city’s cultural life.
Maipú 2359, Concepción, Chile
Tues-Fri 10am-1:30pm & 2:30-5:30pm, Sat, Sun & holidays 3-5:30pm
The Natural History Museum in Concepción, the largest city in southern Chile, was founded by British naturalist Edwin Reed (1841-1910). Reed arrived in Chile in 1869, hired by the National Natural History Museum, and, together with German-born naturalist Rodulfo Philippi (1808-1904), played an important role in classifying Chilean flora and fauna.
While in Concepción, Reed collected specimens of regional fauna for the Museum of which he became the first director. Subsequently, the Museum's collections were gradually expanded to encompass paleontology, archaeology, ethnography and history.
Today, the Museum is housed in a modern building on the city's Plaza Acevedo (more commonly known as Jurásica because of the life-size figures of dinosaurs installed there as part of an urban renovation project).
The Museum's collections, which cover the natural sciences, archaeology and ethnography as well as including some paintings and craftwork, total approximately 13,500 pieces, relating principally to central-southern Chile. Its permanent exhibition is divided into four main areas:
The Plaza Acevedo outside the Museum has an unusual triangular shape and owes its name to Luis Acevedo, a pioneer of Chilean aviation. It is now also often referred to as Dinosaur Plaza or Jurassic Plaza because of its life-size figures of dinosaurs, which include a Diplodocus, a Tyrannosaurus rex and a Pterodactyl.